The Union Science and Technology Ministry has decided to phase out several awards linked to the science and technology department. Nearly hundreds of such awards and fellowships in the field of science will be discontinued.
A decision to this effect was taken at a meeting of senior officials from the country’s science and technology departments, which was presided over by Ajay Bhalla, the Home Secretary.
Shanti Swarup Awards of Science and Technology, the top award in the field of science and technology and awarded to the people who have contributed to the field of science and technology will however stay but with fewer sub heads award categories.
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar 21 Feb (1894) – 1 Jan (1955)
- He was an Indian colloid chemist and the first director general of the CISR (Council of scientific and industrial research)
- He has also written a one-act play in Urdu called Karmati.
- He is also known as the “father of research laboratories”
- One of his innovations was improvisation in the method of drilling crude oil.
- He worked with Homi Bhabha, Vikram Sarabhai, and Chandra Mahalanobis and they together contributed to the science and technology infrastructure and policies.
The Annual Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award
- The awards are presented to the researchers with fellowships and scholarships in the field of science.
- It is the top science award of the country in various fields like earth sciences, biotechnology, space, atomic energy, etc.
- There are 207 awards that fall in Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar category out of which 4 are national awards, 97 are private endowment awards and 54 are for lecture/scholarship and fellowship and 56 are internal awards.
The Trimming of the Shanti Swarup Awards
- In the field of atomic energy, all the smaller awards will be discontinued and a high stature award will be announced in the field of atomic energy department. Similarly in the department of space, all the internal awards will be discontinued and one single award will be instituted in this field.
- There are similar changes in other departments like the department of biotechnology, science, and industrial research and ministry of health and family welfare.
- Under the health and family welfare, the Florence Nightingale nurses awards which are 51 in the count will be trimmed. On the other hand, the practice of private endowment awards will be discontinued.
- The union government has decided to scrap nearly 100 awards and will soon hold the Shanti Swarup awards in a different way, which will be given to a very few deserving scholars.
- The discontinuation of several of awards is being done to ensure that there are fewer science awards meant for deserving individuals
- The government also plans to institute a Nobel-like Vigyan Ratna Award for deserving science researchers.