Prime Minister Narendra Modi will officially launch 5G services in the country on 1st October 2022. The Launch will take place during the Indian Mobile Congress (IMC) event at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. The introduction of 5G services will give a major boost to the telecom industry and broaden the connectivity network across the country.
What is 5G or fifth-generation?
- 5G is the latest upgrade in the long term evolution(LTE) cellular networks.
- 5G services works on 3 types of frequency bands, such as low, mid and high frequency spectrum.
- As we move on from low to high bands, the frequency keeps on increasing with the decrease in wavelength.
- This implies that the low band spectrum will provide lesser speed (around 100 Mbps) and a wider coverage than the mid and high spectrums.
- Although 5G has a lesser coverage than 4G/3G services but a higher data speed connectivity than the rest.
What Benefits it will Guarantee?
- In its first phase, the 5G services will be rolled out in 13 Indian cities namely, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Gandhinagar, Gurugram, Hyderabad, Jamnagar, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, and Pune.
- These metropolitan cities will be covered with higher-speed data connectivity services that will upgrade telecommunications between various departments.
- Telecom Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw has also announced the setting up of a 5G lab in IIT-Madras.
- He further claimed that the government will ensure that the 5G services are provided to the consumers at an affordable price.
- The investment of around Rs. 2.5-3 crore into the industry will give a major boost in employment generation.
- The government further estimates to spread 5G network services in almost all parts of the country in the next 2-3 years, which is a significant step in connecting the remotest areas with the well-developed metropolitan cities.
- 5G services will also provide enterprise-level solutions like machine-to-machine communications, immersive augmented reality, connected vehicles and metaverse experiences.
With the launch of 5G services at IMC, the government will also showcase some successful 5G testbeds that are currently being run in the country by Airtel, Reliance Jio and Vodafone Idea.
During his Independence Day speech, PM Modi spoke about to be launched 5G services in the country that would offer 10 times faster speeds and wider connectivity services. This remarkable step would help India in technologically advancing itself at a global level.