Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan under Taliban rule seems to have slipped back into the past. About 60 Afghan Sikhs were supposed to fly back to India along with their holy scriptures. Though there were stopped from taking the Guru Granth Sahib along with them under the pretext that the religious heritage belonged to Afghanistan.
- As the USA left Afghanistan under the rule of the Taliban rather than resolving the issues, bizarre images of human rights violations have not stopped within the country.
- The previous year, about 110 Sikhs were brought back to India along with Guru Granth Sahib under Operation Shakti
- A big group of 60 Sikhs was about the return to India along with Guru Granth Sahib
- But the authorities in Afghanistan stated that the scriptures belonged to the state as part of their heritage
- According to TOI, the president of Amritsar-based Gurudwara said that this decision was ‘direct interference in the religious affairs of Sikhs’
The President of IWF stated that they had reached out to the authorities and urged them to facilitate religious freedom and tolerance in line to UN Charter.